Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The English of the English: Part 2


Let’s sift through some English English usage and the American equivalents.  In categories!

 
What Americans Already Know Before They Go To England

cheers = thanks
dodgy = questionable or scary
holiday = vacation
fancy = like
chips = fries
flat = apartment
mate = friend
biscuit = cookie
lift = elevator

 
What You Can Figure Out The First Time You Hear It

ring = call (as in “ring me up later tonight”)
telly = television
give it a think = think it over (I kinda like this one)
torch = flashlight (makes the flashlight much more dramatic)
tutor = professor
fresher = freshman
revising = studying
read = studied (as in “I read economics in college”)
daft = crazy
tick = check (a verb, to tick a box on a form)
posh = wealthy, upper class
induction = orientation
top up = top off (as in “can I top up your coffee?”)
interval = intermission
let = rent (verb)
potato jacket = potato skin
note = bill

Notes and bills refer to paper money.  I was actually scolded by a cashier when I said “bill”, to which I should have replied:  “Honey, I’m American.  Which of our countries has more money circulating the world right now?  Why don’t you let me call the shots.”


Weird And Wild Ones You Can’t Help But Like

choc a bloc = crowded, loaded, full
gobsmacked = surprised

Gobsmacked literally it means “spit hit my face,” which is usually a rather surprising thing, so it makes sense.


Ones I’d Never Heard Before

good nick = good shape
knackered = tired, exhausted
go for a slash = urinate
swotted = crammed (for an exam)
naff = kitsch, camp, naïve bad taste


Two Funny Ones Because They’re Inadvertently Sexual

cock up = screw up (fill in your own joke)
rubber = eraser

And yes, an American colleague has heard a British teacher say to her students “please take out your rubbers” and “we’ve got rubbers in the back if you need them.”  To which no British teenager laughed at all (though my colleague did).


No comments:

Post a Comment