Saturday, November 2, 2013

A Restaurant Quirk


They do a strange thing in U.K. restaurants.  You walk in and get seated, which is normal.  You get your drinks and order your food, which is normal.  Then they cook your food, which is normal.  But once the food is prepared they don't bring it to you immediately. 

They come to your table and ask you if you are ready for your meal.

What!?  You're asking me if I'm ready for my food?  Or course I'm ready for my food!  I was ready for my food when I walked in--that's why I came to your restaurant. 

Who wants to wait longer for their meal?  The food never comes quickly enough.  And when you finally see the waiter walk towards you with the order, it's always the best part of the day. 

Once I asked a U.K. waiter if anyone ever says "no, we're not ready for our food."  He said sometimes.  Must be British restraint.

Now when I'm asked I simply say "We're Americans--we're always ready for our food."

No comments:

Post a Comment