Thursday, October 22, 2009

From Tonight's Neuroscience Lecture

"One digital day for teens contains more data than one 19th-century lifetime."

Of course the question is, are we better off?

My opinion? No. No way. All that data swirling around and bumping into everything begins to neutralize itself . . . nothing is particular anymore, deep meanings have a tougher time emerging. Too much data leaves us depleted and exhausted, swimming in white noise and we can’t break the surface to just breathe. We need more time, we need to slow down, to have fewer choices, take things in, fully enter them and be present, deeply.

5 comments:

  1. That's really difficult to believe.
    So, in which era would you rather live?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, now that more people are reading, does that mean you have to change the name of your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I though of this post last night as I finished rereading Emma. I tried to imagine Emma Woodhouse living in the digital age, and then I realized that she would have then become very boring, and thus there would be no novel. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not Cory Fosco, but I will regularly read your blog.

    Can you please change the blog title to reflect this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Too much date leaves us depleted and exhausted." Freudian slip, cousin?

    ReplyDelete