Thursday, February 25, 2010

Longing for El Salvador

I suppose I'm longing for my trip to El Salvador for many reasons. But here's one: I miss having only one shirt to wear. It was a red plaid shirt with snaps.

This was the only button-down shirt I brought to El Salvador. Sure I had some undershirts or t-shirts to mix in, but every day it was back to the same red plaid shirt with snaps.

And why do I miss it?

I like not having to think about what I'm going to wear. Every day I woke up, realized it was that same red plaid shirt with the snaps, and then all my fashion thinking was over. And when you wear the same shirt for days on end, it will begin to soften itself. And a week or so later, you don't just wear it--instead the shirt curls into your contours, cradles you, becomes a friend and a second skin. As Heidegger says, if we are really connected with the world around us, certain objects seem to choose us as much as we choose them. And towards the end of my time in El Salvador, the shirt was practically leaping out of my backpack to hug me and say hello every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment