Thursday, February 25, 2010

I'm Rather Old

Well, I'm much older than I'd realized. Hanging out with a bunch of twentysomethings will do that.

Apparently only old people have hotmail accounts. When I give a twentysomething my email address, they always say "Hotmail? Is that still around?" Apparently it's like saying you still have 8-tracks. Or that you watch your movies on Betamax.

Here's something else that cracks up all the twentysomethings: when I say I remember the Carter administration. I swear, it makes them roll in the aisles every time. They've even begun to request it when I see them in class.

Do you know another way I've realized I'm old? I had to buy a bigger pillbox. I used to have the smallest pill box, with enough room for one, maybe two pills in each day. But I had to buy the next size up so all of my daily medications could fit. Pretty soon I'll be like my 95 year old grandmother, who has a pill box so big it looks like seven bread boxes all in a row.

So I'm this old, and yet I'm in some sort of arrested development. I have a Walter Payton poster on my wall. My parents drove me and my stuff out to college this summer. I have a locker at the ed school. I know people who live in dorms. Someone even passed me a note in class this week.

I bet I'll be hitting puberty soon.

3 comments:

  1. Funny stuff, my man...I wish I wrote Dickbats too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve... thanks for plugging my most obnoxious but obviously most loved story. Maybe I'll post it on my blog. I'm honored that it is still so prominent in your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sleep in a twin-sized bed... or at least wanted to.

    ReplyDelete