Friday, November 20, 2009

It's Going to Get Sentimental

My sister Sandy and my 5 year-old niece Ally came to visit a couple weekends ago. I've missed them dearly, and it was great to spend 48+ hours with them. We went to restaurants, parks, the children's museum, walked Harvard yard, went to Boston Commons, read 14 children's books, and I hugged Ally so hard I may have broken some of her young ribs. She even spelled out "I Love Uncle Stevie" in Jenga pieces.

But then they had to leave, and there was a gaping hole in my east coast life. The gaping hole had always been there, but when they came and went it became very visible. I was bummed for a long time. I realized that having a "heavy heart" isn't really a metaphor, it's a physical descriptor. That's how it actually feels.

3 comments:

  1. You are missed here too, my friend. And will be on Sunday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey--Happy Thanksgiving. I don't really like a lot of people on this planet, but you're an exception. So, today I'm thankful for Steve Jordan. Have a great holiday, I hope you fill up on that organic, grass-fed, hippie food you like to eat. Jesus bread, or whatever that was.

    ReplyDelete