Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Working With My Priorities (x)

Do you know what the problem is with Harvard and Cambridge? There's too much you want to do. It's like a buffet, and you've stuffed yourself for a couple of hours, and you can't possibly eat another thing, but there still all that food sitting there.

Tonight for example there were three speakers I wanted to see giving talks AT THE SAME TIME. One was a poet, the other was talking about the future of energy, and the third was author Orhan Pamuk. And that was after I went to a lecture last night. How do you fit it all in?

You don't. You end up doing about 5% of all you want to do. Like Townes Van Zandt said, "Everything is not enough / Nothing's too much to bear, / Where you've been is good and gone / All you keep is the gettin' there."

And it's especially hard to fit it all in with the priorities I've set for myself. What are those priorities you ask? They're as follows:

1. Having fun.
2. Hitting on women
3. Working out
4. Classes

That's right, classes are #4. At Harvard mind you. I've been a workaholic for the past 15 years, so I'm long overdue for #1-#3. And I won't fail my classes. Maybe I won't get all A's, but I won't fail. And do you know what they call the person who finishes last in his class at Harvard? A Harvard graduate.

So I always pick socializing over homework. I'll go swimming in lieu of rereading an article. And I'll let a pretty girl keep me up until 1 am even if I have an early class the next day.

It's my money, it's my year, it's my plan.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! So which of the three lectures did you attend? And stop making me authenticate myself before posting a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you chose Orhan Pamuk.

    And, I rather like Pinta turtles. They have funny necks that remind me of elephant trunks.

    ReplyDelete